The DNA Barcoding Laboratory (DBL) aims to generate DNA barcodes in order to populate the Philippine faunal database. As of 2014, DBL has already generated DNA barcodes from 83 species from the Philippines, which include birds, fishes, snails, and nematodes, with more barcodes expected in the coming years. DBL also elucidates phylogenetic relationships of Philippine endemic taxa using molecular markers other than the DNA barcode sequences. DBL was established in 2008 and received and continues to receive funding support from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Development of UP Diliman, the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Center for Integrative and Developmental Studies of the UP System, the Department of Science and Technology, Commission on Higher Education, and the Energy Development Corporation. Since 2008, DBL has already published 16 papers from the works of many graduate and undergraduate thesis students.
Ian Kendrich C. Fontanilla, Ph.D. (Group Head)
Associate Professor 5, UP Scientist I
Molecular Genetics and Phylogenetics, Malacology
Adrian U. Luczon, M.Sc.
Jordan Ferdin A. Halili, B.Sc.
University Research Associate
Rieziel Ann D. Bernal, M.Sc.
Ronniel dC. Pedales, B.Sc.
University Research Associate I
Raffy Jay C. Fornillos, B.Sc.
Tyrll Adolf B. Itong, B.Sc.
Alejandro Luis A. Abando
Edwin Miguel S. Anadon
Marco Antonio G. Arevalo
Benedict Joseph M. Cruz
Lorenzo Martin L. Dizon
Dominique Patricia B. Dy
Frank Paul M. Ilandag
Ardea M. Licuanan
Gerard Clinton L. Que
Luther B. Suarez
Riffcord R-Denz M. Tabula
Clinton S. Tang
- Wildlife forensics and DNA barcoding of Philippine biodiversity (DENR)
- Molecular detection of Angiostrongylus cantonensis and other medically important nematodes in populations of Pomacea canaliculata in Metro Manila (NSRI)
- Species diversity analysis of Schistosoma japonicum and Oncomelania hupensis quadrasi Isolated from endemic provinces in the Philippines (DOST-PCHRD)
- De Chavez ERC, Fontanilla IKC, Batomalaque GA, Chiba S. 2015. A new Helicostyla species (Bradybaenidae: Helicostylinae) from Patnanungan Island, Philippines. Asia Life Sciences 24(1): 37-49.
- Constantino-Santos DMA, Basiao ZU, Wade CM, Santos BS, Fontanilla IKC. 2014. Identification of Angiostrongylus cantonensis and other nematodes using the SSU rDNA in Achatina fulica populations of Metro Manila. Tropical Biomedicine 31(2): 327-335.
- Constantino-Santos DMA, Santos BS, Soriano JME, Dy JSH, Fontanilla IKC. 2014. Philippine Survey of Nematode Parasite Infection and Load in the Giant African SnailAchatina fulica indicate Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection in Mindanao. Science Diliman 26(2): 72-84
- Embrador MDM, Gan AGDC, Guanzon CMSM, Romilla CJM, Luber RP, Fontanilla IKC. 2014. Testing the utility of two mitochondrial genes (Cytochrome c oxidase I and 16S rRNA) as DNA barcodes for the family Muricidae (Gastropoda, Mollusca). The Philippine BIOTA 46:37-46
- Fontanilla IKC, Sta Maria IMP, Garcia JRM, Ghate H, Naggs F, Wade CM. 2014. Restricted genetic variation in populations of Achatina (Lissachatina) fulica outside of East Africa and the Indian Ocean islands points to the Indian Ocean islands as the earliest known common source. PLoS ONE 9(9): e105151
- Fontanilla IKC, Torres AF, Cañasa JADG, Yap SL, Ong PS. 2014. State of animal DNA barcoding in the Philippines: a review of COI sequencing of Philippine native fauna. Philippine Science Letters 7(1): 104-137.
- Luczon AU, Fontanilla IKC, Ong PS, Basiao ZU, Sumaya AMT, Quilang JP. 2014. Genetic diversity of the critically endangered Philippine Eagle Pithecophaga jefferyi (Aves: Accipitridae) and notes on its conservation. Journal of Threatened Taxa 6(10): 6335-6344.
- Batomalaque, G.A., Sales, P.R.L. and Fontanilla, I.K.C. 2013. DNA barcoding using cytochrome oxidase I (COI) of the pulmonate gastropods from Batan Island, Batanes, Philippines. Asia Life Sciences 22(2): 341-357.
- Luczon, A.U., Torres, A.F., Quilang, J.P., Ong, P.S. and Fontanilla, I.K.C. 2013. DNA barcoding of birds in the University of the Philippines Diliman campus, with emphasis on striated grassbirds Megalurus palustris. Philippine Journal of Science 142(1): 1-11 .
- Fontanilla, I.K.C. & Wade, C.M. 2012. First report of Angiostrongylus cantonensis in the Giant African Land Snail Achatina fulica in French Polynesia detected using the SSU rRNA gene. Tropical Biomedicine 29(4): 642-645.
- Ong, P.S., Luczon, A.U., Quilang, J.P., Sumaya, A.M.T., Ibañez, J.C., Salvador, D.J. and Fontanilla, I.K.C. 2011. DNA barcodes of Philippine accipitrids. Molecular Ecology Resources 11: 245-254.
- Aquilino, S.V.L., Tango, J.M., Fontanilla, I.K.C., Pagulayan, R.C., Basiao, Z.U., Ong, P.S. and Quilang, J.P. 2011. DNA barcoding of the ichthyofauna of Taal Lake, Philippines. Molecular Ecology Resources 11: 612-619.
- Santos BS and Quilang JP. 2011. DNA barcoding of Arius species (Siluriformes: Ariidae) in Laguna de Bay, Philippines using the cytochrome c oxidase subunit I gene. Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94: 42-47.
- Quilang JP, Santos BS, Ong PS, Basiao ZU, Fontanilla IKC, Cao EP. 2011. DNA barcoding of the Philippine endemic freshwater sardine Sardinella tawilis (Clupeiformes: Clupeidae) and its marine relatives. Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94(3): 16-25.
- Aquino LM, Tango J, Canoy RJ, Fontanilla IKC, Basiao ZU, Ong PS, Quilang J. 2011. DNA barcoding of fishes of Laguna de Bay, Philippines. Mitochondrial DNA 22(4) 143-153.
- Jumawan, J.C., Vallejo, B.M., Herrera, A.A., Buerano, C.C. and Fontanilla, I.K.C. 2011. DNA barcodes of the suckermouth sailfin catfish Pterygoplichthys (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) in the Marikina River system, Philippines: molecular perspective of an invasive alien fish species. Philippine Science Letters 4(2): 103-113.