The Molecular Population Genetics Laboratory (MPGL) focuses on molecular identification, phylogenetics, and genetic diversity analysis of natural populations of fishes and other vertebrates. The lab is also into aquaculture genetics, genetics of invasive and introduced species, and application of multivariate methods to study populations. Ongoing research projects at MPGL are as follows: (1) Genetic variations in hatchery and wild populations of milkfish; (2) Genetic traceability and DNA fingerprinting of genetically improved tilapia strains in hatchery and wild populations; (3) DNA barcoding and molecular phylogeny of Philippine halfbeaks; (4) DNA barcoding of Philippine gobies; and, (5) Genetic and morphological variations in populations of Philippine native and endemic fishes.
Jonas P. Quilang, Ph.D. (Head)
Associate Professor 5, UP Scientist II
Molecular and Population Genetics, Genomics and Fish Biology
Zubaida U. Basiao, Ph.D.
Fish Biology, Quantitative and Population Genetics, Ecology, and Conservation
Brian S. Santos, M.Sc.
Ambrocio Melvin A. Matias, M.Sc.
Genetics, Reef connectivity
Vonette Joi F. Ballesteros
Micah Teresa C. Elayda
Rachel Joanne B. Pomer
John Robert Orias
Rachel Joanne B. Pomer
Marco Philip F. Serafica
Francis Peter C. Vesagas
Shiny Cathlynne S. Yu
Laboratory and Field Activities
On-Going Research Projects
- Genetic and Morphological Variations in Hatchery and Wild Populations of Milkfish
- Genetic Traceability and DNA Fingerprinting of Genetically Improved Tilapia Strains in Hatchery and Wild Populations
- DNA Barcoding and Molecular Phylogeny of Philippine Catfishes
- DNA Barcoding and Molecular Phylogeny of Philippine Halfbeaks
- DNA Barcoding of Philippine Gobies
- Genetic diversity of Philippine native and endemic fishes
- Quilang JP, Yu SCS. 2014. DNA barcoding of commercially important catfishes in the Philippines. Mitochondrial DNA, doi:10.3109/19401736.2013.855897
- Santos B.S. and Quilang J.P. 2012. Genetic diversity analysis of Arius manillensis (Siluriformes: Ariidae) using the mitochondrial control region. Mitochondrial DNA 23(2): 45-52.
- Santos, B.S., Quilang, J.P. 2012. Geometric morphometric analysis of Arius manillensis and Arius dispar (Siluriformes: Ariidae) populations in Laguna de Bay, Philippines. Phlilippine Journal of Science. 141 (1): 1-11.
- Santos B.S. and Quilang J.P. 2011. DNA barcoding of Arius species (Siluriformes: Ariidae) in Laguna de Bay, Philippines using the cytochrome c oxidase subunit I gene. Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94: 42-47.
- Quilang J.P., Santos B.S., Ong P.S., Basiao Z.U., Fontanilla I.K.C., and Cao E.P. 2011. DNA Barcoding of the Philippine endemic freshwater sardine Sardinella tawilis (Clupeiformes: Clupeidae) and its marine relatives. Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94(3): 248-257.
- Santos, B.S., Fontanilla, I.K.C., and Quilang, J.P. 2010. Geometric morphometric analysis and gill raker count variation of populations of the endemic Philippine silver perch, Leiopotherapon plumbeus (Perciformes: Terapontidae). Philippine Agricultural Scientist 93: 406-419.DNA Barcoding and Molecular Phylogeny of Philippine Catfishes