Francis S. Magbanua, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor 7
Bio 1 (Contemporary Topics in Biology)
Bio 116 (Invertebrate Biology)
Bio 160 (Fundamentals of Ecology)
Bio 161 (Field Biology)
Bio 162 (Limnology)
Bio 164 (Biodiversity & Conservation Biology)
Bio 165 (Biogeography)
Bio 196 (Undergraduate Seminar)
Bio 260 (Advanced Ecology)
Bio 262 (Freshwater Ecology)
Bio 265 (Advanced Biogeography)
Bio 296 (Seminar)
Bio 397 (Current Topics in Biology; e.g., Biodiversity Science, Restoration Ecology)
Freshwater ecology, influence of land use on community and ecosystem processes, ecosystem impact of multiple stressors, urban stream biodiversity
Danielle Dominique D. Deborde, BS Biology student
Thesis: Responses of stream macroinvertebrate communities to land use in Silago, Southern Leyte, Philippines
Clara Francesca R. Venturina, BS Biology student
Thesis: Freshwater ichthyofauna of Silago, Southern Leyte, Philippines – a preliminary
Ma. Lourdes C. Hilario, BS Biology student
Thesis: Preliminary assessment of freshwater ichthyofauna of Palanan, Isabela, Philippines
Regine Y. Oliveros, BS Biology student
Thesis: Use of benthic macroinvertebrate communities as indicator of water quality of Palanan River, Isabela, Philippines
Kara Ysabel G. Mirafuentes, BS Biology student
Thesis: Importance of sampling design in the stream bioassessment: a 3-year study of streams on Mount Maluyon and Mount Balukbok
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Hageman, K.J., Piggott, J.J. and Matthaei, C.D. (2016) Individual and combined effects of fine sediment and glyphosate herbicide on invertebrate drift and insect emergence: a stream mesocosm experiment. Freshwater Science 35(1), 139-151.
- Magbanua, F.S., Mendoza, N.Y.B., Uy, C.J.C., Matthaei, C.D. and Ong, P.S. (2015) Water physicochemistry and benthic macroinvertebrate communities in a tropical reservoir: The role of water level fluctuations and water depth. Limnologica – Ecology and Management of Inland Waters 55, 13-20.
- <Magbanua, F.S., Mendoza, N.Y.B., Fontanilla, A.M. and Ong, P.S. (2013) Modified stream visual assessment protocol: a field guide. UP Biology-EDC Biodiversity Field Guide Series No. 1. Quezon City and Pasig City: Institute of Biology, University of the Philippines Diliman and Energy Development Corporation.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Hageman, K.J. and Matthaei, C.D. (2013) Individual and combined effects of fine sediment and the herbicide glyphosate on benthic macroinvertebrates and stream ecosystem function. Freshwater Biology 58(8), 1729-1744.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Hageman, K.J., Lange, K., Lear, G., Lewis, G.D. and Matthaei, C.D. (2013) Understanding the combined influence of fine sediment and glyphosate herbicide on stream periphyton communities. Water Research 47(14), 5110-5120.
- Shahpoury, P., Hageman, K.J., Matthaei, C.D. and Magbanua, F.S. (2013) Chlorinated pesticides in stream sediments from organic, integrated and conventional farms. Environmental Pollution 181, 219-225.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Blackwell, G.L., Phillips, N. and Matthaei, C.D. (2010) Responses of stream macroinvertebrates and ecosystem function to conventional, integrated and organic farming. Journal of Applied Ecology 47(5), 1014-1025.
- Pagulayan, R.C., Lopez, N.C. and Magbanua, F.S. (1999) Littoral fishes of Lake Taal. Sylvatrop, The Technical Journal of the Philippine Ecosystems and Natural Resources (1997) 7: 84-93.