Ernelea P. Cao, Ph.D.
Professor 12 | UP Scientist I
Biology 1 (Contemporary Topics in Biology)
Biology 11 (Fundamentals of Biology 1)
Biology 140 (Fundamentals of Genetics)
Biology 141 (Fundamentals of Microbial Genetics)
Biology 150 (Fundamentals of Cell and Molecular Biology)
Biology 196 (Undergraduate Seminar)
Biology 240 (Advanced Genetics)
Microbiology 241 (Advanced Microbial Genetics)
Biology 296 (Graduate Seminar)
The Plant Genetics and Cyanobacterial Biotechnology Laboratory focuses on the use of molecular and morphological markers in plants to study traits of agronomic and taxonomic importance, as well as the use of cyanobacteria for biotechnological applications.
Daisy May C. Santos (Ph.D. Biology)
Libertine Rose S. Sanchez (Ph.D. Biology)
Alysa G. Estopace (M.S. Microbiology)
Julian Chris F. Galvez (M.S. Biology)
Emmerson P. Rullog (M.S. Biology)
Nick Rainier S. Santos (M.S. Biology)
(16) Victoria AJ, Cao EP, Salmaso N, Segata N and Donati C. 2018. Draft genome sequence of the cadmium-resistant strain JJU2, belonging to Family Hapalosiphonaceae of the cyanobacteria. Microbiology Resource Announcements 7:e00876-18.
(15) Vallejo B Jr, Conejar-Espedido J, Manubag L, Artiaga KCC, Damatac AM II, Imperial IVJ, Itong TAB, Fontanilla IKC, Cao EP. 2017. First record of the Charru mussel Mytella charruana d’Orbignyi, 1846 (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) from Manila Bay, Luzon, Philippines. BioInvasions Records 6(1): 49-55.
(14) Dumilag RV, Aguinaldo Z-ZA, Mintu CB, Quinto MB, Ame CE, Andres RC, Yap SL, Cao EP, Vital PG, Fontanilla IKC, Monotilla WD. 2017. A review of the current taxonomic status of foliose Bangiales (Rhodophyta) in the Philippines. Phytotaxa 312(1): 47-59.
(13) Sanchez LRS, Magbanua FS and Cao EP. 2017. Isolation, characterization and rapid screening of copper-tolerant cyanobacteria consortia from mining sites and a strawberry farm in Benguet Province, Philippines. Journal of the International Society of Southeast Asian Agricultural Sciences 23(2): 8-19.
(12) Santos DMC, Besa CFF, Victoria AJA and Cao EP. 2016. Simple sequence repeat analysis of selected NSIC-registered coffee varieties in the Philippines. Science Diliman 28 (1): 5 – 16.
(11) Cao EP, Constantino-Santos DM, Ramos LAP, Santos BS, Quilang JP, and Mojica RM. 2014. Molecular and morphological differentiation among Coffea (Rubiaceae) varieties grown in the farms of Cavite Province, Philippines. Philippine Science Letters 7(2): 387–397.
(10) Chong SML, Constantino-Santos DM, and Cao EP. 2014. Pollen morphometrics of four coffee (Coffea sp.) varieties grown in the Philippines. Philippine Journal of Crop Science 39(3): 1-7.
(9) Arnante MES, Enriquez MLD, Cao EP, and Natividad FF. 2014. Preliminary screening for microsatellite instability and loss of heterozygosity in the deleted in colorectal cancer (DCC) gene among Filipino patients with colorectal adenocarcinoma. Acta Medica Philippina 48(4): 17-22.
(8) Valenzuela AJF, Santos BS, Quilang JP, and Cao EP. 2011. Comparative use of meristic and geomorphometric analyses of vegetative and floral characters in studying intraspecific variation in Portulaca grandiflora (Hook). Science Diliman 23 (2): 41-53.
(7) Quilang JP, Santos BS, Ong PS, Basiao ZU, Fontanilla IKC, and Cao EP. 2011. DNA barcoding of the Philippine endemic freshwater sardine Sardinella tawilis (Clupeidae) and its marine relatives. The Philippine Agricultural Scientist 94(3): 248–257.
(6) Guzman RMS, Gervasio RNR, Fontanilla IKC, and Cao EP. 2010. Frequency distribution of blood groups ABO, MN and Rh factor in Philippine cosmopolitan, regional, and the national populations. Science Diliman 21 (2): 43–49.
(5) Jalandoni-Buan AC, Decena-Soliven ALA, Cao EP, Barraquio VL, and Barraquio WL. 2010. Characterization and identification of congo red decolorizing bacteria from monocultures and consortia. Philippine Journal of Science 139 (1): 71-78.
(4) De Guzman MC, and Cao EP. 2010. Cadmium binding ability of the blue-green alga Hapalosiphon welwitschii Năgel under controlled conditions. Philippine Science Letters 3 (1): 76–86.
(3) Jalandoni-Buan AC, Decena-Soliven ALA, Cao EP, Barraquio VL, and Barraquio WL. 2009. Congo red decolorizing activity under microcosm and decolorization of other dyes by congo red decolorizing bacteria. Philippine Journal of Science 138 (2): 125-132.
(2) Quilang JP, de Guzman MC, de Hitta-Catalan MH, Rubio RO, Jacinto SD, Santiago EC, and Cao EP. 2008. Effects of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on root meristem cells of common onion (Allium cepa L.) and on early life stages of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Philippine Journal of Science 137(2): 141-151.
(1) Quilang J.P., Basiao ZU, Pagulayan RC, Roderos RR, and Cao EP. 2008. Low isozyme variation in native and transplanted populations of the endemic Philippine silver perch, Leiopotherapon plumbeus (Kner, 1864) from three lakes in the Philippines. The Philippine Agricultural Scientist 91(1): 367-371.