Francis S. Magbanua, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor 7
Bio 116 (Invertebrate Biology)
Bio 162 (Limnology)
Bio 165 (Biogeography)
Bio 260 (Advanced Ecology)
Bio 262 (Freshwater Ecology)
Bio 265 (Advanced Biogeography)
Bio 397 (Current Topics in Biology: Restoration Ecology)
Freshwater ecology, bioassessment and biomonitoring, aquatic ecotoxicology
- Magbanua, F.S., Fontanilla, A.M., Ong, P.S. & Hernandez, M.B.M. (In press). 25 years of freshwater research in the Philippines: what has been done and what to do next? Philippine Journal of Systematic Biology (Special Issue No. 1: Proceedings of the 1st Philippine Symposium on Freshwater Biodiversity and Ecosystems).
- Sanchez, L.R.S., Magbanua, F.S. & Cao, E.P. (2017). Isolation, characterization and rapid screening of copper-tolerant cyanobacteria from mining sites, a strawberry farm and a forest site in Benguet Province, Philippines. Journal of the International Society for Southeast Asian Agricultural Sciences, 23(2):8-19.
- Lopez, M.L.D., Magbanua, F.S., Mamaril, A.C. & Papa, R.D.S. (2017). Variations in microcrustacean (Crustacea: Cladocera, Copepoda) assemblages from selected groundwater-dependent ecosystems in the greater Luzon and Mindoro Island faunal regions (Philippines): insights to tropical groundwater ecology. Inland Waters, 7(4):428-439.
- Deborde, D.D.D., Hernandez, M.B.M. & Magbanua, F.S. (2016) Benthic macroinvertebrate community as indicator of stream health: effects of land use on stream benthic macroinvertebrates. Science Diliman, 28(2):5-25.
- Adorable-Asis, A.-G.A., Cauyan, G.A., Pagulayan, R.C., Magbanua, F.S. & Papa, R.D.S. (2016) The macro-gastropod communities of aquaculture-intensive lakes in the Philippines. Molluscan Research, 36(4): 223-230.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Hageman, K.J., Piggott, J.J. & Matthaei, C.D. (2016) Individual and combined effects of fine sediment and glyphosate herbicide on invertebrate drift and insect emergence: a stream mesocosm experiment. Freshwater Science, 35:139-151.
- Magbanua, F.S., Mendoza, N.Y.B., Uy, C.J.C., Matthaei, C.D. & Ong, P.S. (2015) Water physicochemistry and benthic macroinvertebrate communities in a tropical reservoir: the role of water level fluctuations and water depth. Limnologica – Ecology and Management of Inland Waters, 55: 13-20.
- Shahpoury, P., Hageman, K.J., Matthaei, C.D. & Magbanua, F.S. (2013) Chlorinated pesticides in stream sediments from organic, integrated and conventional farms. Environmental Pollution, 181: 219-225.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Lange, K., Hageman, K.J., Lear, G., Lewis, G.D.& Matthaei, C.D. (2013) Understanding the combined influence of fine sediment and glyphosate herbicide on stream periphyton communities. Water Research, 47: 5110-5120.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R, Hageman, K.J. & Matthaei, C.D. (2013) Individual and combined effects of fine sediment and the herbicide glyphosate on benthic macroinvertebrates and stream ecosystem function. Freshwater Biology,58: 1729-1744.
- Magbanua, F.S., Townsend, C.R., Blackwell, G.L., Phillips, N.& Matthaei, C.D. (2010) Responses of stream macroinvertebrates and ecosystem function to conventional, integrated and organic farming. Journal of Applied Ecology, 47: 1014–1025.
- Pagulayan, R.C., Lopez, N.C. & Magbanua, F.S. (1999) Littoral fishes of Lake Taal. Sylvatrop, 7: 84-93.