The Mammalian Cell Culture Laboratory (MCCL), headed by Dr. Sonia D. Jacinto, maintains different human cancer cell cultures which are especially used in researches aimed towards discovery of potential anticancer drugs. Focusing on extracts from various Philippine endemic terrestrial plants, the MCCL aims to move the cancer research in the country forward. With the help of various agencies such as the Natural Sciences Research Institute (NSRI), Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Development (OVCRD) of UP Diliman and the Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD), the MCCL is able to support undergraduate and graduate thesis students who work on studies involving cancer. In 2013, with the help of DOST-PCHRD, the MCCL was tasked to establish a National Bioassay Facility that can support studies on drug discovery and development especially on diseases like cancer, diabetes and hypertension among others.
Sonia D. Jacinto, Ph.D. (Head)
Professor 9, UP Scientist I
Cell Biology, Animal Developmental Biology, and Anticancer Natural Products
Alvin R. Acebedo, M.Sc.
Ruth Marian Genuino, M.Sc.
Cielo Mae Marquez
Regina Joyce Ferrer
Laminar Flow Hood
Inverted fluorescence microscope
Cryogenic Dewar flask
On-Going Research Projects
- 1. Antibody and Molecular Oncology Research 2 Project 3: In vitro Cytotoxicity and Binding Studies of Anti-TAG72 Immunoliposomes Loaded with Doxorubicin (DOST-PCHRD)
- 2. Discovery and Development of Health Products: Screening for Immunomodulatory and Anti-Cancer Activities of Herbal Extracts from IB-UPD and External Sources (DOST-PCHRD)
- Acebedo AR, Amor E, and Jacinto. 2014. Apoptosis-inducing activity of HPLC fraction from Voacanga globosa (Blanco) Merr. on the human colon carcinoma cell line, HCT116. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 15: 617-622.
- Dapat E, Jacinto S, Efferth T. 2013. A phenolic ester from Aglaia loheri leaves reveals cytotoxicity towards sensitive and multidrug-resistant cancer cells. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 13:286.
- Olarte EI, Herrera AA, Vilasenor IM, Jacinto SD. 2013. In vitro antitumor properties of an isolate from leaves of Cassia alata L. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 14: 3191-3196 .
- Ragasa CY, Torres OB, Shen C-C, Mejia MGR, Ferrer RJ, Jacinto SD. 2012. Chemical constituents of Aglaia loheri. Pharmacognosy Journal 4(32): 29-31.