The research thrust of the Terrestrial Research in Ecology and Evolution Laboratory TREE lab is focused on taxonomy, conservation ecology, and phylogenetics of terrestrial ecosystems. Current activities include research on avian biology and ecology, terrestrial community ecology, biocultural diversity conservation, ethnobotany, plant-animal mutualistic networks in urban green spaces, recruitment limitation of tree species in reforested landscapes, forest succession after disturbances in geothermal sites, ecology and evolution of Philippine fig-wasp systems, diversity and taxonomy of Philippine Brachyceran True Flies (Diptera), succession of carrion-related insects especially in Dipterans and Coleopterans. Funding sources include the National Science Research Institute (NSRI), Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Development (OVCRD) PhD Incentive Awards, Energy Development Corporation (EDC), Research Microgrant from the Philippine Tropical Forest Conservation Fund, Inc (PTFCF), and Samuel Williston Diptera Research Fund.
Carmela P. Española, Ph.D. (Head)
Assistant Professor 6
Ph.D. Conservation Ecology
Conservation Ecology; Wildlife Biology; Ornithology; Avian Frugivore Ecology
Regielene S. Gonzales, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor 5
Ph.D. Environmental Life Sciences
Seed dispersal, Recruitment Limitation, Restoration of degraded landscapes
Lillian Jennifer V. Rodriguez, M.Sc.
Ma. Dolores. C. Tongco, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor 5
Ethnobotany, Biocultural Diversity Conservation, Community Ecology
Nancy A. Dimayacyac
OVCRD, Seed dispersal and recruitment limitation
Jasmin C. Meren
University Research Associate
NSRI, Bird-Plant Interactions
Paul Q. Palomares
OVCRD, Philippine Ethnobotany
On-Going Research Projects
- January – December 2014. Ecology and conservation of cavity-nesting birds at Subic Watershed Forest Reserve and adjacent forests of Bataan National Park, Luzon, Philippines.
- April 2013 – March 2014. Biodiversity Conservation and Monitoring Program – Forest Succession. Energy Development Corporation.
- January 2012- December 2013. Interactions between fleshy-fruited plants and avian frugivores across different temporal and spatial scales in urban green spaces. Natural Sciences Research Institute.
- January – December 2013. Community patterns and processes affecting the recruitment of tree species in a reforested landscape. Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Research and Development.
- Oct 2013-Oct 2014. Philippine ethnobotany in the past 25 years: trends, gaps and directions for future research. Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Research and Development.
- January 2013-January 2014. Forest Dynamics Plots: Topographic, Edaphic and Atmospheric Conditions and their Influence on Species Distributions, Phenology, and Seed-Seedling Dynamics (under Biodiversity and Resilience R&D, Communications and Capability Building Program). Commission on Higher Education.
- November 2012-April 2013. Project Leader (for Plant Ecology), Assessment and Inventory of Biodiversity Resources of Mt. Tapulao. New Conservation Areas in the Philippines Project, Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau, Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
- March-December 2012. Long-Term Monitoring of Ecosystems (under From Genes to Ecosystems: Understanding Biodiversity at Various Scales, Knowledge Generation and Knowledge Management for Science-Based Conservation Policy). Center for Integrative and Development Studies.
- Abog MKFN, de Rivera JJLC, Estacio SCW, Fidelino JS, Lavilla OJY, Pilapil JCA and MDC Tongco. 2012. Assessment of acute toxicity of thiamethoxam (Actara® 25WG) to Achatina fulica and its potential ecological applications. Science Diliman 24:21-27.
- Allen, D., Española, C., Broad, G., Oliveros, C. and Gonzalez, J. C. T. 2006. New bird records for the Babuyan Islands, Philippines, including two first records for the Philippines. Forktail 22:57-70.
- Allen, D., Oliveros, C., Española, C., Broad, G. and Gonzalez, J.C.T. 2004. A new species of Gallirallus from Calayan island, Philippines. Forktail 20:1-7.
- Anticamara, J.A., Pasion, B.O., Gonzales, R.S., Duya, M.R.M, and Ong, P.S. 2012. Understanding high altitude reforestation in Mount Apo, Philippines. Eurasian Journal of Forest Research 15-1: 31-43.
- Chave J, Condit R, Muller-Landau HC, Thomas SC, Ashton PS, Bunyavejchewin S, Co LL, Dattaraja HS, Davies SJ, Esufali S, Ewango CEN, Feeley KJ, Foster RB, Gunatilleke N, Gunatilleke S, Hall P, Hart TB, Hernández C, Hubbell SP, Itoh A, Kiratiprayoon S, LaFrankie JV, Loo de Lao S, Makana J-R, Md. Nur Supardi Noor, Kassim AR, Samper C, Sukumar R, Suresh HS, Tan S, Thompson J, Tongco MDC, Valencia R, Vallejo M, Villa G, Yamakura T, Zimmerman JK and EC Losos. 2008. Assessing evidence for a pervasive alteration in tropical tree communities. PLoS Biology 6:1-8.
- Co LL, LaFrankie JV, Lagunzad DA, Pasion KAC, Consunji HT, Bartolome NA, Yap SL, Molina JE, Tongco MDC, Ferreras UF, Davies SJ and PS Ashton. 2006. Forest Trees of Palanan, Philippines: a study in population ecology. Megatone Printhauz, Inc., Quezon City, Philippines, 313 p.
- Española, C. P., Collar, N. J. and Marsden, S. J. 2013. Are populations of large-bodied avian frugivores on Luzon, Philippines, facing imminent collapse? Animal Conservation 16: 467–479.
- Gonzales, R.S. and T. Nakashizuka. 2010. Broad-leaf species composition in Cryptomeria japonica plantations with respect to distance from natural forest. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 2133-2140.
- Gonzales, R.S., D.A. Lagunzad, N.R. Ingle, T. Nakashizuka, 2009. Seed dispersal by birds and bats in lowland Philippine forest successional area. Biotropica 41: 452-458.
- Tongco MDC, Lagunzad DA, Co LL and RA Tabbada. 2004. Minimum area for rapid estimates of tree diversity in a permanent plot in Palanan, Isabela, Philippines. Agham Mindanaw 2: 25-34.
- Tongco MDC. 2007. Purposive sampling as a tool for informant selection. Ethnobotany Research & Application. 5: 147-158.